Friday, March 9, 2018

LEGGINGS


We moved here to Taos, NM almost 2 years ago.  I'll admit that it has not been an easy or graceful transition for me, as the altitude is about 7800'.  That's quite a stretch from the 50' elevation of Spring, Texas.  I do have some health issues involving breathing anyway.  Well, here's the deal.   My jeans, though they seem to fit fine are not the norm for this area.  Women (and some men) wear what's known as leggings.  Until now, I've been just wearing what I wore when we lived in Houston.  I just turned 70 in January.  I noticed that when wearing my jeans that I can't breathe when I bend over.  They sort of cut me in half.  Turning 70 made me more aware of things that have been relevant for a long time,l but magnified up here int he mountain canyon.  1.  Every little wrinkle.  2.  Cellulite.  3.  Breathing issues.  4.  My lack of exercise.  5.  ....and other health issues.  So (step 1.) I've followed "fashion trends" here in Taos, which is a very wide range and always very colorful.  Anything goes.  I ordered 5 pairs of leggings in assorted colors.  

Today I donned the darkest pair....dark navy.  I believe I'll be needing some more longer tunic tops to cover my assets, especially as it's really cold up here in the winter, and you could freeze your assets off if you don't cover your tender vegetation.  WOW!  They really feel good!  I knew I'd get some stares from the Royster, so I went ahead and asked, knowing he'd go for saving his own ass by saying "You look just fine....."  and he did.  That was really the best he could do, considering what he had to assess and comment instantly.  He was fast.  I mentioned that all of the women we know up here in the canyon are wearing them, and they're our age.....I think they look terrific! 

Non-the-less, I still feel a little self conscious wearing these.  Part of my plan was to have them to wear to a Yoga class or Pilates class.  It hasn't happened.....yet, but my intentions are good.  Did I say they feel great?  The biggest trial is getting the sincere opinions of my girlfriends.  After all, they wear them too, for every day.  

So, here goes.  I've come to the conclusion that I don't look terrible in these leggings, and I've become accustom the climate, and the "Taos Way" in the short time we've lived here.  Now it'll be interesting to see what our grandchildren think.  




2 comments:

Sharon Jackson said...

Hey Melissa, I have worn nothing else for years and yes, I also wear longer tops. I am not that far behind you in age. I too, have given up jeans and also high heels in favour of comfortable clothing and shoes.

What I cannot find in my local stores I make up by shopping on line. https://www.zulily.com/ is a great resource for interesting clothes and they also have great customer service. When something arrived that did not have a button hole, my full amount including shipping was refunded and I did not have to return the item.

And as for your grandkids, they may not even notice. :)

bob said...

Oh,they’ll notice! They just won’t say anything contrriuversial when Grams is in earshot... hopefully!! I suppose you could say there are some noticeable differences ‘tween Houston and Taos besides the weather and humidity. Like the land of manana. No matter what it is it can wait until tomorrow when now is perfect for a siesta, or the fish are biting in the Rio Grande or the local fishin’ hole... or it’s a perfect day to gather piñon, or watch yet another glorious sunset. Once ya misplace the clock it’s a wonderful place. As for the leggings, they’re the uniform of the day here in Boise (as are your Flip-flops) too, even in the winter with 12” of snow on the ground. I’d suggest large T-shirts for the summer (they’ll have a gazillion at the tourist traps, declaring whatever social commentary you want or enchanting sights of NM), then oversized sweaters or sweatshirts for the evenings. Or a sarapie (sp?) over “whatever” with a wide brimmed turquoise bedangelled Indian hat! For Roy, heck, whatever he wants so long as it looks old ‘n comfortable and is camo!